Saturday, February 17, 2018

Sciatica

I've heard of sciatica.  I even had a little bout with it years ago...a pain then went down into the back of my thigh, but it went away in a relatively short period of time.

Last Saturday, February 10, we were at CLE.  We had just gone through US Customs and had been on our feet (after a 3.5 hour flight) for about 90 minutes.  We were waiting for our luggage when my left foot went "to sleep".  I shook my foot around and it felt a bit better, but within a few steps that feeling came back.  It stayed.

Over the weekend an awful thought went through my head.  I thought I probably had a stroke.  (My mind tends to go to the worst-case scenario.)  I was unpacking, putting things away and was dealing with a numb foot all the while.

Monday came and I thought..."I won't play pickleball today, probably not a good idea."  I took some Advil and plowed through things.  Then I thought, "I WILL play pickleball, perhaps the exercise will be good for me...maybe this is just a pinched nerve from the flight home from Mexico".  I went and played for about an hour and I was limping so badly that others were noticing I was having a problem.  I got ice and iced my back and my foot.

Tuesday morning I called the chiropractor that Rick has gone to in the past.  (I do not like chiropractors, so I asked Rick to go with me and stay with me.)  Well, I learned that I was suffering from sciatica and to my surprise, I learned that the sciatic nerve ends in your foot.

I have had 2 treatments and go back again on Monday.  The sole of my foot is still numb, but I have feeling in my toes now.  It's not a quick recovery or adjustment, but I am getting better.

The doctor has given me these instructions:  no sitting in my recliner with the leg rest up; put a pillow behind me and sit up straight; in bed, try to lay on my back with a pillow beneath my knees and if I need to lie on my side, put a pillow between my knees; don't cross my legs at the knees.

I'm looking forward to recovering completely from this.  It's a real PITA and PITF!

1 comment:

  1. Hope it gets better quickly...better do what the doc says

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.