Friday, December 22, 2017

More Christmas prep


Yesterday cookies were packaged with love to give to the neighbors. 
I delivered cookies to the  Edgewood neighbors, I'll finish delivery today.  The one Willow Street neighbor I delivered to yesterday was Jim.  He's 86 and I've known him almost all my life.  He was one of my math teachers when I was in junior high school.  He has an eye disease and is no longer able to drive.  He's at the point in his life where he is no longer "in charge" the way he used to be.  Time marches on for all of us.  He doesn't drive anymore and has gotten rid of his car.  I've given him our phone number(s) so that if he needs something and his children aren't able to help when he needs, we are here to help him.

Jim walks to the store often.  One day I saw him coming home with a reusable shopping bag from the local grocery store.  It looked a little worn and I had an idea...Make Jim a new shopping bag!!  I perused patterns online. (This Great Big Tote is from Sewing to Sell by Virginia Lindsay.)  When I went to visit Jim to make my delivery, he was tickled to get the cookies, but he actually broke down and cried when I showed him the bag.  It's dark blue denim with a gold S which is the first letter of his last name.  He hugged me and held on tight for a while.  He was so touched and grateful.  Made my heart so happy, yet a little sad.  We need to spend a little more time with Jim; he's a good man with a huge heart who is coming to the end of his earthly time.  Maybe not real soon, but soon enough that we need him to know how much we treasure him.

The basket is a gift for my husband's (and my) friend, Pete.  Rick and Pete have been friends for at least 40 or so years.  Pete owns a bar and Rick goes every Friday to shoot pool for about an hour and keep in touch with Pete.  Each year we put together a basket for him and his family.  The last few years we have gotten together with them for dinner and conversation.  Pete loves Sophie and even Sophie is invited to dinner.  It was a nice evening, no special food, just takeout, but time spent with friends is such a wonderful thing.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.