Sunday, November 26, 2017

Rambling about my Thanksgiving weekend

Wow!  What a Thanksgiving!

I'll start this post talking about Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  I made desserts to take to Kelly's family in Pennsylvania.  I made a beautiful pumpkin roll and Rick made his world-famous pumpkin pie.  I got everything laid out to take along with us as we left on Thursday morning and would be spending the night to return home on Friday.  Lots of stuff to take even though it was just one night!

Thursday morning we piled in the car...Rick, me and Sophie and we were going to stop by McDonald's to grab a breakfast sandwich as we drove.  Nope!  McDonald's was closed!!  I didn't think they ever closed.  Even the location by the interstate was closed!!  Oh well, we got on the turnpike and the rest area had a Panera.  I got a bagel and Rick got a sweet roll and Sophie got to get out and go to the pet exercise area to sniff around and squat for a piddle.

We got to Kelly's about 12:30.  It was great to see everybody, that's for sure.  The only sad thing about our time together was the fact that Jennifer and her family weren't with us.  I just adore seeing all the grand children together.  The love each other SO much that it makes my heart sing.

We had a delicious and stress free meal - turkey and all the trimmings!  Lots of desserts, that's for sure.  Evelyn's friend brought an apple pie (and it was sooo delicious, even though it was not homemade but store bought), Diane brought brownies and cupcakes,  we brought pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll and Kelly made a pumpkin bread.  Add an array of flavors of ice cream and you have our dessert table!

Friday morning Kelly and I went Black Friday shopping.  I haven't done that in years!  We left the house about 5:45 (we both slept in our clothes so that getting up and out wasn't disruptive to those still sleeping) with a coffee.  We went to the outlet mall (it was pretty desolate by that time because they had been open all night) then to several other stores.  We were back home by 11 and grabbed a bite to eat.  Rick and I got the car packed up and we left for home.

The rest of Friday was pretty much a rest day!  Saturday I got up and put a turkey in for us. I can't believe I had an 11 pound turkey in the oven by 7:30 am!!!  I don't have a clue why!!!  It was done by 10:00!!!  Hahaha!!  Oh, well, I just carved it up and put it into containers and we had it for dinner!!  I offered it to Rick for breakfast, and we had a good laugh.

I went shopping to try to find an item that Kelly said the girls would like.  Nope...couldn't find it/them.  I checked a few stores to no avail and can't find it online, either.  I picked up a few things at Walmart and then back home.  I worked on some red baby hats to donate to the hospital for an event they are having in February.  Red hats for all babies born during the month of February to support something for heart awareness.  I am using my knitting loom and it's not easy for me to get the hang of it.  Anyway, I made 2 hats, so now I have 4 made!  I need to get more yarn to make some more.

Today...well, today is Sunday.  I threw in some laundry and got my shower.  I decided to sew for a bit and got all the "channels" sewn in the wall hanging I'm currently making.  I got our Christmas tree down while Rick was walking Sophie and put it t
ogether.  While I was sewing, he made all the adjustments to the branches and put on most of the ornaments.  I finished up the remaining ornaments and he put on the garland.  We both commented that it was the easiest tree trimming in our history!

Tonight was turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes and gravy -- all leftovers.  I love turkey!  Tomorrow morning I'll have a turkey sandwich for breakfast and then I think I'll freeze the remaining turkey.  I have broth made, so maybe I'll add turkey, wild rice and veggies to it and we'll have soup later in the week.

My weekend was great.  I'm blessed.  I'm loved and I'm happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.