Saturday, April 20, 2019

Tutorial on printing quilt label and why I wash fabric before sewing

I'm putting this here, hopefully to make it easier to find when needed!

To make my quilt labels on the computer, here is what I do:


Fuse cotton to freezer paper and cut to 8 ½ by 11 inches.  Design your label on your computer.  Insert your cotton/freezer paper correctly in your computer and print.  After printing, press completely to set the ink.  You can now cut your label to size and peel off the freezer paper.  Turn the edges under and press.  Hand sew to your quilt.

If you would rather have a fusible label, peel the freezer paper off your fabric and fuse Wonder Under.  Cut and fuse to your quilt back.


People often ask if/why they should wash fabric before starting a project.  These are my feelings on that:

I'm a washer. I wash every piece of fabric that comes into my house, with the exception of charm packs, layer cakes and jelly rolls. You never know what has come into contact with your fabric prior to bringing it home. Storage facilities can have rodents/bugs/dirt/oil, you have chemicals, etc. I also wash a finished quilt. I have handled it, my cat sometimes wants to do an inspection and I use spray basting, spray starch and occasionally Elmer’s School Glue; so a quilt (in my mind) is not finished until it is washed and dried.
QUILTING VIDEO – Sharon Schamber - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.