Friday, March 27, 2020

Kindness(es)

I'm "elderly" now.  When and just how did this happen?  For most of my life I have been the one to call or contact someone and offer my help.  I'm not supposed to do that now, during this Covid-19 pandemic.

Yesterday, I realized I was down to 3 slices of bread.  I had just been to the store (for the last time in a very long time) and we really don't use much bread at all.  However, lately I've been having a sandwich for lunch (Rick, too) and wow...we were nearly out of bread.  I posted a request on our Neighborhood Folks page on Facebook.  I asked if anyone was going to go to the store, I could use a loaf of bread.  I had the post up for about 5 minutes and then panicked!  I thought to myself, "I could have a DOZEN loaves of bread if several people see it", so I took the post down.  Last evening, one of my neighbors texted and asked if I had gotten bread, or if I still needed it.  She was going to the store today, and she brought me a loaf.  This was Liz.  Later today, Amy was leaving her house and called to me..."Helen, do you still need bread?"  She was placing an Instacart order and offered to order it or anything else I might need.  I asked her to get me 2 dozen eggs.

A little later on, John Burnell called to check on us.  He offered to pick up anything for us as he goes to Acme about every other day to get things for himself and his mom.  He was so sweet.  John is 58, I used to babysit for him and his sisters when I was about 12 or so!

Tonight for dinner, we had Swenson's.  Delicious.

Today was Hadley's birthday!  She's now 12!  She had wanted to have a birthday party with her friends, but with the pandemic, that's just not possible.  She received about 50 cards!  Jennifer had put a post on Facebook that she was trying to make Hadley's birthday special in lieu of the pandemic.  Jennifer (and Todd) planned a special day for her.  They made their house into Hadley's favorite restaurant...Texas Roadhouse.  It was all explained to us via FaceTime!  The photos won't load now, so I'll post them tomorrow.

I'm so touched that our kids are FaceTiming with us a little more frequently.  That makes me feel more connected with them.  I've not been crying so much lately.

It's after 11PM, so I'm going to go to bed now.

-H

1 comment:

  1. This past Christmas (2019) we had a group of carolers come from our church - they brought a Christmas cactus as a gift and sang carols for us. I wondered why they came to our house until I asked my daughter, and she said that the carolers broke up into groups and were all assigned to go to the "elderly" of the church. Hmmmm..in my mind I am still thinking, why us? Now with the virus, I am reminded every time I watch tv that my husband and I are in the at-risk elderly group...geez I really aged over the last decade. We are 69 and I guess that makes us elderly. But it is nice to know that others are watching out for us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.